Plans for the 29th ICEHOTEL are well underway and you can now see some of the amazing designs for the suites! ICEHOTEL 29 will open on 14thy December 2018. Early booking is highly recommended for this unique hotel.
Get a good night’s sleep in a fun candy shop filled with sweets, settle down in a suite with a swimming ice woman with a love for cold baths, and fall asleep in an aquarium, watched by an amazing huge cat! These are three of the designs that you can experience at Sweden’s famous Ice Hotel this winter season.
Nature is a recurring theme for many of the ice artists this year. In the suite “Spruce Woods” by Canadians Christopher Pancoe and Jennie O’Keefe, the guests can sit down around the fire (of ice) in a camping site in the forest, and then sleep on a bed of ice! Jonathan Paul Green from the UK creates “The Living Ocean Suite” together with his daughter Marnie Green, the fabulous suite is an underwater world filled with corals, shells and fish to marvel at!
‘The suite is inspired by climate change and the overfishing that affects our oceans. I also thought the idea of using frozen water from a river in northern Sweden to create an ocean with shells, fish and corals is exciting’, says Jonathan Paul Green.
Jonas Johansson, Jordi Claramunt and Lukas Petko from Sweden, Spain and Slovakia create the suite “Haven” in which a magical portal of ice is being guarded by the Phoenix. The legend says only the pure hearted may enter a room where time is infinite and life eternal.
‘We are inspired by the meeting between people and want to create an experience that invites curiosity, creativity and collaboration. It feels like a dream to get to work with ice that allows our love for light, shine and reflection to wander free from thought to creation’, says Jonas Johansson.
Art symposium with artists from all over the world in Jukkasjärvi
A couple of weeks before the opening, 33 artists from 13 different countries arrive in Jukkasjärvi to sculpt 15 unique suites of ice and snow, one ice ceremony hall for weddings and ceremonies and one pillar hall. A building team, the ice production, art support and a lightning team work together with the artists in the building of ICEHOTEL, and create an additional 20 ice rooms.
The contributions came from all over the world, Sweden, USA, India, Canada, Mexico and New Zeeland, to name a few. Here is a complete list of all the artists that will participate in the creation of ICEHOTEL #29:
Art Suites, Ceremony Hall & Main Hall
- ”Blossom”, Wouter Biegelaar & Viktor Tsarski, Netherlands
- “The Living Ocean Suite”, Jonathan Paul Green & Marnie Green, UK
- “Lollipop”, Mathieu Brison & Luc Voisin, France
- “Haven”, Jonas Johansson, Jordi Claramunt & Lukas Petko, Sweden, Spain and Slovakia
- “Dancing Auroras”, Emilie Steele & Sebastian Dell’Uva, Sweden
- “The Tao Of Cat”, Sonia Chow & Huschang Pourian, Hong Kong
- “Flock”, Lisa Lindqvist & Ulrika Tallving, UK & Sweden
- ”Oak”, Tjåsa Gusfors, Sweden
- ”Zero. ICTYS – Water is Always the Same”, Emilio Lorenzo & Josu Ruiz, Spain
- “Perception”, Francisco Javier Cortes Zamudio, Germany
- “Icewoman”, Linda Vagnelind, Sweden
- “Spruce Woods”, Christopher Pancoe & Jennie O’Keefe, Canada
- “Differential Expansion”, Antonio Camara & Juan Carlos Camara, Canada & Mexico
- “The Sea Of Ice”, Kristina Möckel & Sebastian Scheller, Germany
- “Kaamon Aurinko, the Sun of Polar Night”, Katharina Wyss, Frank Dittman & Veronika Mayerböck, Switzerland
- Ceremony Hall, Saito & Natsuki Shingo, Japan
- Main Hall, Marjolein Vonk & Maurizio Perron, Netherlands & Italy